Personal Robbery and Swarmings
- Be alert to your surroundings and avoid isolated areas, in particular after dark and when withdrawing money from ATMs;
- Travel with multiple friends whenever possible;
- Be wary of inadvertently displaying possessions such as cell phones and personal music devices; and,
- Let someone know where you are going and when you can be expected home.
Know what to do if you become a victim:
- Do not resist your attackers, they may be armed and this could lead to serious injury or death;
- Try and memorize their faces, clothing and license plates if they leave in vehicles;
- Call 911 as soon as possible, or if you are around an OC Transpo facility look for an emergency call box; and,
- If you are a student and are robbed at school or by someone from your school, report the event to the office and to the Ottawa Police Service.