Cause of carbon monoxide leak on Phoenix Crescent determined not to be suspicious

Posted On Friday December 06, 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  Friday, December 6, 2019          3:26pm 

(Ottawa)— On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 officers were called to assist Ottawa Fire Services and Ottawa Paramedic Service in relation to serious injuries at a residence in the 300 block of Phoenix Crescent. 

A 75year old woman was in the care of the paramedics in life-threatening condition and a 75 year old male was located deceased in the residence. High levels of carbon monoxide (CO) were measured inside the residence, at the time. 

Following their investigation, Ottawa Police East Criminal Investigations determined that there was nothing suspicious related to the cause of the leak.  

Police would like to share information about the cause so as to prevent any similar tragedies from happening. 

The home’s gas boiler had a buildup of animal hair that caused very poor ventilation. The house was equipped with two combination smoke/CO detectors which had been beeping because there was a detection of low CO levels in the home. Thinking they were defective, homeowners removed the batteries from the device ultimately resulting in this tragedy. 

This is a reminder to clean gas boilers yearly, to keep fresh batteries in your carbon monoxide (CO) and smoke detectors. It is recommended to have a separate CO detector from your smoke detector so a leak is easier to determine. 

If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call 911 from a safe location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive. 

For more carbon monoxide and other fire safety tips visit City of Ottawa.

- 30 -


Media Relations Section

Tel: 613-236-1222, ext. 5366

Contact Us