Damage to property

If you feel that the Ottawa Police Service has incurred damage to your property as a result of police actions, you may submit a claim through the City of Ottawa’s Claims Unit or the Ottawa Police Service’s Professional Standards Section as follows:

In order to submit a Property Damage Claim, a letter must be written, containing the following information:

  • date of claim or notification;
  • name, address and telephone number of the person making the claim;
  • date, approximate time, location and police report number (if known) of the incident giving rise to the claim;
  • apparent cause of the loss or damage incurred (to the extent it is known); and
  • nature of damage incurred (i.e. personal injury, property damage, loss or property, expenses incurred etc.);
  • a receipt or invoice for damage  incurred.

Submit claims

Submit claims to the Ottawa Police Service Professional Standards Unit:


Ottawa Police Service
Professional Standards Unit, Damage Claims
P.O. Box 9634, Station T
Ottawa, ON
K1G 6H5


Email the Professional Standards Unit


(613) 760-8127

If you have any questions regarding the Property Damage Claims process, please contact us.