Traffic Services

Police officer on a motorcycle in traffic in Ottawa

Enforcing the rules of the road is a priority for the Ottawa Police Service

Traffic Services is dedicated to support both the internal and external partners of the OPS when it comes to traffic concerns within Ottawa. 

Traffic Services falls under the Front Line Specialized Support Directorate.

The unit has one (1) Staff Sergeant, four (4) Sergeants and 28 Constables.

The duties of Traffic Services include:

  • Enforcement Initiatives
  • VIP Escorts
  • Parades, Demonstrations, and Major Events (public and political)
  • Special Projects (Speed, Seatbelts, and distracted driving initiatives)
  • Traffic complaint investigations

Approximately 75% of the Unit’s mandate is dedicated to both Traffic Enforcement Initiatives, and supporting Patrol Service. The remaining 25% accounts for the above mentioned duties.

Enforcing the rules of the road is a priority for the Ottawa Police Service

Issues related to road safety have been recognized as important at the international, national, provincial and municipal levels. This has increased the need for:

  • cooperation among road safety agencies in pursuit of common objectives;
  • coordination of effort to achieve those objectives; and
  • developing lines of communication, measurement tools and reporting mechanisms to help assess effectiveness and identify emerging road safety trends.

The Ottawa Police is proud to be part of the Safer Roads Ottawa Program.

Quick Facts:

  • Ottawa's roads are already among the safest in Canada with approximately one million drivers in the City of Ottawa daily.
  • Approximately 95% of drivers do not comply with all the rules of the road.
  • There are about 700 Highway Traffic Act laws (i.e. speeding, careless driving)
  • Out of the one million drivers that drive in the City of Ottawa daily, many adults and seniors in sedans, minivans and sport utility vehicles are speeding, which sends a message to youth in those cars that speeding, and other dangerous driving habits, are acceptable. Parents are their children's first driving instructor(s) - use those first sixteen years as an opportunity to teach our youth the rules of the road and how to stay safe on our streets and highways.

Find out more about: