Late in 2011, Ottawa Police Service (OPS) staff began the development of a long-term plan for the acquisition, disposal and refit of OPS facilities, a key element of infrastructure that supports police operations. The goal was to create a strategy to meet OPS facility requirements for the 17-year period from 2014 to 2031.
The OPS recognizes the importance of managing public expectations and gaining community acceptance of the changes within their neighbourhood police stations/CPC’s.
- The FSP will help the City better serve and protect lives and property.
- Many current police facilities must be updated to ensure the safety of the users and OPS personnel.
- The FSP will extend the lives of some of our existing stations to meet current and future needs.
- Priorities and guiding principles were established to provide a solid foundation for the development of the FSP.
- Each neighbourhood is unique and OPS will work to recognize the special characteristics of our communities. The project will actively seek input and involve each of the neighbourhoods impacted by changes to their local police station/CPC through the site planning process.